Here are some tips on how to keep coyotes away:
- Never get friendly with coyotes.
- If followed by a coyote, make loud noises. If this fails, throw rocks in the animal's direction.
- Do not leave small children or pets outside unattended.
- Do not allow cats outdoors to roam (day or night).
- Do not use a retractable leash—a leash should be no more than 6 feet. This allows you to be in control of your pet and ensures it's close to you at all times.
- Trim ground-level shrubbery and clear brush near your home to reduce places where coyotes live and hide.
- Keep pet rabbits in suitable cages.
- Keep tight covers on all trash containers, and put trash out on collection day at the latest opportunity.
- Never leave water or pet food outside.
- Eliminate potential food and water sources, such as fallen fruit and standing water.
- Never feed coyotes.
- Never attempt to touch, pet or capture wildlife. These animals will bite to protect themselves.
- Install rollers on fences that are 6ft tall or higher
Lastly, a reminder to keep windows, doors, and pet doors closed (even locked) when the temperatures warm up. Coyotes are much like cats in that they only need an opening 3" wide to squeeze through. You do not want to give coyotes an opportunity to enter your home and possibly attack your pets or children